The PGA Tour’s developmental circuit event, the minor league of golf so-to-speak, will bring 156 professional golfers, including 12 Monday qualifiers and four sponsors’ exemptions, from the around the world to the area to compete and enhance their status on the Tour while playing for a purse of $650,000, with the winner taking home $117,000.
The field will include Raleigh native Grayson Murray, three-time Rex Hospital Open tournament winner Kyle Thompson, and Campbell University alumnus Brad Fritsch (currently second on the Web.com Tour Money List), among others.
Proceeds from this year’s tournament will benefit the new North Carolina Heart & Vascular Hospital, an eight-story, 114-bed tower under construction at UNC REX Healthcare’s main Raleigh campus.
Event organizers have once again worked to enhance the fan experience for what they bill as the ‘premiere golf event’ in the area.
UNC REX Healthcare will offer free shuttles to and from the course at TPC Wakefield Plantation with public parking and shuttle access available at REX Healthcare of Wakefield located at 11200 Governor Manly Way in Raleigh.
Tickets are available for purchase at rexhospitalopen.com.
Daily grounds tickets are available for $10, weekly passes at $25, and for those who want to get the full on-course spectating experience, Champions Club tickets (which include food and beverages) are available for $100.
Kids aged 16 and under can attend for free, and admission will be offered at no cost Thursday through Sunday, (May 12-15) to active duty, military reserve, National Guard, military retirees and veterans, as well as to Wake County Public School System employees with a valid ID.
2016 Rex Hospital Open – Daily Schedule
Mon., May 9
– American Cancer Society Triangle Cure Classic Pro-Am, Noon
– First Tee of the Triangle Instructional Clinic, 6 p.m. at North Ridge Country Club
Tues., May 10
– Professional Practice Rounds (Open to Public – All Day)
– Pairings Party and Pro-Am Reception sponsored by North State Bank (invitation only), 6-9 p.m.
Wed., May 11
– Official Rex Hospital Open Pro-Am, 6:50-8:50 a.m. and 12:30-2:30 p.m. – Open to Public
– Honorary Opening Tee Shot, Noon, highlighting Military Caddie program
Thurs., May 12
– First Round of Competition, gates open at 8 a.m.
Fri., May 13
– Second Round of Competition, gates open at 8 a.m.
– Food Truck Friday, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. (Cousins Maine Lobster, OMG Chicken, Two Roosters Ice Cream)
Sat., May 14
– Third Round of Competition, gates open at 8 a.m.
– PhoNomenal Dumpling Truck
– Live Music by Old Habits Band – Begins immediately following play on the back porch of the main clubhouse
Sun., May 15
– Final Round of Competition, gates open at 8 a.m.
– Rex Hospital Open Trophy Presentation to take place immediately following the conclusion of play at approximately 5 p.m.