CARY, N.C. – Tournament officials for the 2013 SAS Championship presented by Bloomberg Businessweek announced on Tuesday the latest player commitments to this year’s tournament field.
Defending champion Bernhard Langer, and double-major winner Kenny Perry head the field of returning champions who will make their way to Prestonwood Country Club to compete for this year’s tournament title from Oct. 7-13.
In addition to Langer and Perry, Russ Cochran (2010), Tom Pernice, Jr. (2009), Mark Wiebe (2007), Tom Jenkins (2006), Hale Irwin (2005), Craig Stadler (2004), and D.A. Weibring (2003) will all be contending to add another SAS Championship to their extensive playing resumes.
“We always have a great field based on where it falls on the Champions Tour schedule, but this year’s field is shaping up to be something special,” said tournament director Jeff Kleiber.
“Perry is having a tremendous year, having won two majors and leading the points race and Langer is truly one of the fiercest competitors out there. Having them and the rest of these champions, many whom have won this year will make for some great golf here in the Triangle.”
To date, this group of former SAS Tournament champions have claimed eight Champions Tour titles on the year with Langer and Perry each winning twice.
Langer picked up wins at The ACE Group Classic and Greater Gwinnett Championship earlier this year, while Perry captured his first career major victories winning the Constellation Senior Players Championship and U.S. Senior Open in back-to-back weeks.
“Obviously having these players in our field will make for some incredible golf, but we’re also very excited about the other community events we have going on that week for fans and families,” Kleiber said.
This year’s event once again features fan-interactive events like Food Truck Friday, the Blue 5k race and the WakeMed Families First Fun Fest.
More details on tournament week events and ticket packages are listed on the tournament website at saschampionship.com, or by calling 919-531-4653.